President Trump makes plans to end DACA.

Funcrunch Photo

Funcrunch Photo

Heyabe Abebe, News Writer

WASHINGTON- On Tuesday September 4, the Justice Department announced that they will be ending Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals, also known as DACA, putting over 800,000 lives in America at risk.

Five years ago, President Obama signed an executive order that protected young undocumented Immigrants currently living in the United States from deportation. People who were under the age of 31 by june 15, 2012. Also coming to the U.S while under the age of 16 and continuously residing in the U.S since june 15 2007 up to present time, people were able qualify for DACA.

Right now DACA protects over 800,000 undocumented youths giving them a chance to go to school and work without the fear of deportation.  

According to The Atlantic nearly 80 percent of Republicans, and three quarters of Trumps voters support DACA. But anti-immigration hardliners like Ann Coulter, Breitbart and Attorney General Jeff Sessions who have such high positions in the government have made statements in hopes of ending the program.

Since Trump’s presidential win, over 200,000 people have enrolled or renewed their involvement with DACA.

On September 5  President Trump issued  a statement that expressed  deep concern for  “the millions of Americans victimized by this unfair system.”  President  Trump has talked about in the past how the system of DACA has had an negative effect on American citizens because of the lose of jobs .

Attorney General Sessions has shared the same feelings believing DACA has “denied jobs to hundreds of thousands of American by allowing those same illegal aliens to take those jobs.”

SInce the controversial announcement, presidents from top universities like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Cornell, Amherst, NYU, and Duke have made personal statements in support of DACA, emphasizing the value of undocumented students and their appreciated contributions as students, future members of the workforce, and current residents of the U.S.

Princeton University President Christopher Eisgruber wrote a personal letter to President Trump, in which he said that Dreamers “have benefited from the DACA program and will be leaders in building the innovation economy that your administration has championed.”     

Just hours after the angry reactions to the removal of DACA, Trump appeared to have second thoughts when he tweeted a call on Congress to “legalize DACA.”

Haynes Senior Angel Henriquez and juniors Lizeth Coreas and Kal Haile reacted angrily to the recent plans for DACA.  They have been planning a school walkout in support of DACA and Dreamers, using their voices in hopes to represent those who voices are not being heard.

“My community is filled with people who benefit from DACA,” Kal said. “I have friends whose families benefit from it so I feel it is everyone’s responsibility to help support the movement against this decision.”

Lizeth added, “I have family members who are a part of DACA, those people mean the world to me. I would be lost without them if they were not here.”

Kal explained her future next steps. She plans “to continue to work with young activists and  further our plans on how to protest Trump’s decision regarding DACA.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “President Trump makes plans to end DACA.”

1. Keith Calix on September 25th, 2017 3:12 pm

Thank you for your reporting, Heyabe!!!

[Reply]

2. Newman on October 6th, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks for writing about this important issue! I’m frustrated the government promised hundreds of thousands of people protection, offered goodwill for coming out of the shadows, and now that a new administration comes along, decides that they aren’t going to honor this goodwill. The government can now use this information to track and possibly deport this group of people that now have lived in America their entire lives. This is an injustice.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• President Trump makes plans to end DACA.

Features

Inconsistent Policies at Haynes

Haynes News

School Bag Check

Pop Culture

Selena Gomez awarded Women of the Year at Billboard’s Women in Music.

Showcase

Second-Place Juventus Defeats Top-Seed Napoli In Vital Match

Showcase

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

News

Over 300 killed in Egypt mosque attack

Features

Eight questions for a senior

Features

Haynes Memes

Showcase

Italy Misses World Cup for First Time Since 1958

• Haynes News

Big Day For 12th Graders: Senior Picture Day