Selena Gomez awarded Women of the Year at Billboard’s Women in Music.

Stephanie Mejia, Pop Culture- Editor

Los Angeles Ray Dolby Ballroom- On November 27, Billboard hosted the Women in, Music Awards. This event started at 9 p.m and ended at 12 a.m. Selena Gomez was named Woman of the Year, for which she gave a personal and emotional speech. One reason she was given this award was that she is one of the women who are at a high level in their career. She also won this award because even though when she was recovering from her lupus implant she still kept her fans entertained and now is recovered and back better than ever.
Selena Gomez stands at the peak of her career. As many people know Ms. Gomez has been through very tough times since being diagnosed with lupus in October 2015 she came out and told everyone about lupus and what it was. Later in September of this year, she posted on Instagram that she was recovering from the transplant. Selena talked about this on some of her interviews and she was at the point where she was going to die. She needed a kidney transplant and her best friend Francia Raisa, an actress in the show The Secret Life of the American Teenager, donated one of her kidneys and saved her life.
In her speech, Selena first claimed that she did not deserve this award. She said that Francia deserved this award because she saved her life. A little after she started to thank the women in the life who have influenced her and been with her. One person she mentioned was her mother. She also gave thanks to her fans and how happy and thankful she is because of where she has gotten from the age of 7 to 25.
At the age of seven, Selena was in the show, Barney. A year later, she was given a recurring role in Hannah Montana. After that, she starred in the show Wizards of Waverly Place. Later on, the movie Wizards of Waverly Place came out. This show was one of her breakthroughs in her career. In 2012-2014 she became a solo artist and focused on her music while struggling with personal things. Now she is still making great music and she also directed the show 13 reasons why.
Some students at Haynes were happy to see Selena Gomez being recognized for all her struggles. The Lion Roar asked two students their opinion on Selena winning this award. The two quotes were a positive and a negative reaction.
Darlyn Portillo said, “ I think she deserved this award because Selena has been through so much, especially with the sickness she had. She was strong and able to get through it.”
Other students were confused that someone so young as Selena won this award when many other women have accomplished more in their lives.
Citaly Cruz said, “ I don’t think that Selena she should have been given this award. I think that there are other women who have done way more and better things than Selena who deserve this award. I don’t know exactly who, but I know that other women have done more.”