Inconsistent Policies at Haynes

Elvia Orellana- Mejia, Opinion Editor

I was walking through the E.L Haynes High School doors on the second day of school when I was told by a staff member to go back home because I was wearing ripped jeans. I was really bothered by the fact that there were other students walking in with what the school considers “inappropriate clothes for school” and I was the only one targeted. I went back home and changed, when I came back I was told my fishnet shirt was inappropriate even though I was wearing an undershirt. What really frustrated me is that this is one of the few inconsistent policies at Haynes.

The dress code at E.L Haynes has no purpose. It is meant to address the distractions from students, but what is so distracting about feeling good about yourself through your own fashion style? Everyday, certain students get told to go home or change because what they wear is “inappropriate.” We are in high school, where we shouldn’t get told what to wear. I understand that there can be policies on certain clothes but these rules are limiting our style.

Every year, the dress code changes. My 9th grade year, students had to wear professional clothes and professional shoes. As a sophomore, the requirement changed to collared shirts and dress pants with any shoes. Last year, students were not allowed to wear jean jackets, and leggings. This year, my senior year we as students are not allowed to wear leggings, ripped jeans, and open toe shoes. This is inconsistent, and this is too much money spent on clothes to fit the school’s requirements.

E.L Haynes should focus on the education towards students, not a place where we get punished for what we wear. Students and teachers have a variety of perspectives.

Jennifer Hernandez, a senior, thinks the dress code has changed. In the beginning of the year, we were not allowed to wear ripped jeans but when I asked her what she thought about the supposed to be policy she responded, “I literally be wearing ripped jeans now a days and they don’t say anything anymore.”

She continued, “But regarding that, we should wear ripped jeans because that’s what we like. It’s not getting in the way of our education and if they think it’s going to make teachers feel some type of way then this schools needs to get that out of their heads.”

While I agree with her position, I do acknowledge that the staff member are not checking for dress code policies. As I stated before, this is inconsistent because the staff doesn’t keep their word about the dress code. It’s always changing.

A 12th grade teacher, Mr.Jordan commented, “It’s not as bad as having to wear uniform.”

Mr.Jordan does have a point because wearing uniform us students would not respond well to that policy. I do understand that most public schools are required to wear uniforms but our school from the start was meant to be unique.

Another unfair policy is the water policy. Students are not allowed to drink water in class because there has been alcohol in them. While I understand the administration’s concerns, it is very rude when teachers drink water in class while as a student, you can’t. I understand the reason of this policy, but we need to drink water. The school says to drink from the water fountains, but who wants to drink dirty water where people spit?

If alcohol is the issue, then those specific students should get addressed, not the whole school. I personally need to drink as much water as I can due to my health circumstances. I know there are many other students that need water to go on with their day. Water is something kids need everyday in order to stay healthy. There are kids who take gym class that would love to drink water in their next class to relax their energy from gym. There are also high school students that take medications regularly and they shouldn’t have to hide their water when it’s something they need.

I know that there are better issues to worry about, but small things like this actually have an impact in our school community. Our school needs to think of a better plan to have set policies that will stay consistent every year. Our school administration needs to consider the needs of others as in the water policy. I feel like the policies the administration holds, is only set for a little amount of time. Therefore, these policies need to be consistent so that students can stop complaining about the changes that occur a lot.