Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting

Daniel Amarando, News Editor

At 9:49 Robert Bowers would post on a white nationalist website, “Screw your optics, I’m going in.” Then five minutes later he would commit the worst attack on the Jewish community in the United States, killing 11 people and injuring 6 at a synagogue in Pittsburgh.

The victims age ranged from 54-97.

-Rose Mallinger age 97 had 3 children, 5 grandchildren and one great grandchild

-Dr. Jerry Rabinowitz age 66 ran outside to help the wounded before being shot and killed by the shooter

-Cecil Rosenthal age 59 was brothers with David Rosenthal (54) who where both killed in the attack

-Daniel Stein age 71 loved visiting the synagogue and loved playing with his grandson

-Richard Gottfried age 65 was a successful dentist in the city of Pittsburgh

-Joyce Fienberg age 75 was a former research specialist at the University of Pittsburgh

-Melvin Wax age 88 was a retired accountant

-Sylvan Simon age 86 and his wife Bernice Simon age 84 married in that same synagogue but where murdered there too

-Irving Younger age 69 would always volunteer at the Synagogue and stay late

The four police officers injured by the gunman where Timothy Matson who suffered multiple gunshot wounds, Daniel Mead who was shot in the hand, Anthony Burke was also shot in the hand, and Michael Smidga who had a shrapnel wound in his head. The current conditions of the officers are currently unknown but they’re expected to survive.

Squirell Hill is a neighborhood east of Pittsburgh with a major jewish community. On Saturday, October 27 Robert Bowers who is a Neo-Nazi brought one assault rifle and two handguns and opened fire on a Jewish synagogue.

At 9:54 a 911 call came in about a active shooter at the synagogue. One minute after the call was made, two police cars are dispatched to the scene and numerous other police officers made their way to the synagogue. As soon as the two police officers arrive the gunman is seen leaving the synagogue and he opens fire on the police. Two police officers are injured in a gunfight with the shooter. A call goes out on the police scanner stating, “Every unit in the city needs to get here now.”

Two minutes after the call came out, swat units arrive at the synagogue and once they arrive officers start to consider going into the synagogue. At around 10:30, swat officers enter the synagogue and find four bodies in the synagogue atrium and one injured individual. They also find four more bodies in the hallway. At 10:53 the officers find a man who has barricaded himself on the third floor and the man opens fire on the police, hitting one officer in the hand.

At 11 am, police start negotiating with the gunman and start giving him orders to crawl out. Four minutes later the suspect surrenders to police, crawling out of the room he barricaded himself and police moved in for a arrest. When the officers apprehend the suspect, he told the officers, “All Jews need to die.”

Robert Bowers was sent to Allegheny General Hospital where he was treated for his injuries. He was later sent to Butler County Prison for his crimes. Robert Bowers was charged with 44 federal charges and many hate crimes. Allegheny County is also seeking the death penalty for Bowers. In total 11 people were killed and 6 people were injured including 4 police officers making it the worst anti-semitic attack on US soil.