Justice For Danye Jones

Destiny Myers, Entertainment Editor

An activist named Melissa Mckinnies protested in Ferguson, MO, and due to her activism her son, Danye Jones, was lynched. Mr. Jones was found hanging from a tree in the backyard of his mother’s home in the north county community of Spanish Lake, Missouri, just five miles away from Ferguson where Michael Brown was killed when he was 18-years-old in 2014.

The St. Louis County Police Department investigated the death and claimed it was a suicide.

“I don’t know who said my son committed suicide,” Ms. McKinnies said. “Of course, when you first see someone hanging, your first thought is that. But I know my son and none of us said he killed himself. The police were standing there, and I said to both of them, ‘this needs to be investigated, do you hear me?’ I know my son and none of this adds up, not at all.”

The County police spokesman in St. Louis, Shawn McGuire, explained during a press conference that there were no signs of struggle or trauma to the body.

Ms. McKinnies said she had found her son hanging by a bed sheet early in the morning on Wednesday, Oct. 17, at approximately 5:45 a.m.

“The knots that were used in the sheets he was hung with, everybody I talked to that’s been in the military, know about these knots. My nephew was not in the military, militia or boy scouts,” said Daniel Kashif Muhammad, Danye Jones’ maternal uncle said.

Lots of photos showed a chair that Mr. Jones used to stand on, lying about three feet away from where he was hanging. Danye Jones’ family believes that this was staged to make it seem like he hung himself. The family wants to know how he got the military type knots around his neck.

Danye Jones was 6 feet and 1 inch tall. His feet were eight inches from the ground, both of his fists were clenched. He had sprapes on his face and blood on his shirt.  

“He was too happy with his life and the possibilities of being successful. He had just written in his notebook the night before, about his plans with his new real estate business. So why would he take his life? He wouldn’t, and we will find out who did this to him,” vowed his mother.

As E.L. Haynes students we could we could prevent stuff like this by having our own protests about lots of things that ruining our community. 

1 Comment

One Response to “Justice For Danye Jones”

1. Ms. Hueber on November 14th, 2018 5:07 pm

Really enjoy hearing your voice and hope you take advantage of additional leadership opportunities. This story is really timely and encourages activism in our community.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Justice For Danye Jones