Will The Lakers Continue their Hot Streak?

Back to Article
Back to Article

PORTLAND, OR - OCTOBER 18:  LeBron James #23 of the Los Angeles Lakers huddles with teammates in the first quarter of their game against the Portland Trail Blazers at Moda Center on October 18, 2018 in Portland, Oregon. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

PORTLAND, OR - OCTOBER 18: LeBron James #23 of the Los Angeles Lakers huddles with teammates in the first quarter of their game against the Portland Trail Blazers at Moda Center on October 18, 2018 in Portland, Oregon. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Ariel Phipps, Sports Writer

The Los Angeles Lakers started the season not the way they expected. With the off-season pick ups like Lebron James, Javale McGee, Lance Stephenson, and Rajon Rondo, the whole NBA expected them to have a great overall season starting with more wins than losses.

There were multiple suspensions and fines because of fights. Lebron James entering his 16th season averages 28.3 points, 7 assist, and 8 rebounds.

The Lakers started 0-3 but now they are 11-8. They improved tremendously and Lebron is the reason for this. They have been missing a true leader on and off the court like him. He is making the Lakers go back to their prime.

The Los Angeles Lakers lost their first game to the Portland Trail Blazers 128-119. They lost the second game to the Houston Rockets 124-115, then lost their third game to the San Antonio Spurs in overtime 143-142. Then finally won their first game against the Suns 131-113.

Marel Parson, senior at E.L Haynes, said, “I don’t know why we lost some of those games but i believe we started off bad because we don’t have chemistry and its the Western Conference.”

He added, “I believe we cleaned it up now and we will continue to play like this.”

For Lebron’s return to play against his former team the Miami Heat on November 18, he dropped 51 points, 3 assists, and 8 rebounds and the Lakers beat the Heat 113-97. This made most people believe that Lebron still has it inside him and that he is not aging.

Xavier Muse, a E.L. Haynes junior said, “He’s the greatest player of all time. Lebron used to do this all the time last year in Cleveland so it’s not surprising.”

Lebron has twelve 50 point games, one more the the legend Allen Iverson and 2 less than Rick Barry.  Lebron James reacted to his 51 point game by saying, “I’ve always been a guy to let my game talk for itself, speak for himself. My body of work speaks for itself, still to this day 16 years in.”

Many fans of the NBA believe the Lakers are showing a great amount of improvement to go far in the playoffs and possibly the finals. Lebron’s shooting 3’s more efficiently now with 38 percent. This is his second best 3 point shooting season after when he played with the Miami Heat shooting 40 percent.

Lonzo Ball’s 3 point shooting percentage has improves as well. He is currently shooting 35 percent after struggling to shoot only 30% in his rookie season.

Jorge Robles, alumnus of E.L Haynes, said, “They are going to the playoffs but might lose in the second round ,it will a huge impact on the franchise because they haven’t made it that far since Kobe Bryant played with them.”