Peer court teaches students restorative practices

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maclovia Velasquez and Jaiya Smith

Peer Court is a new class that has been brought to E.L Haynes this year. There are 15 students in peer court. The students take Peer Court class as an elective. The teachers who teach the class are Ms.Shinn and Ms.Smith.

“Peer Court was brought to E.L Haynes because E.L Haynes has always been considered a restored practice school,” said Ms.Smith. “They didn’t have all the facets of restored practices such as learning to mediate, learning how to have conversations, how to positively develop relationships and so on.” she said.

Many kids enjoy the class. They see it as class that would give them more knowledge. Ramy Beatriz, a junior said peer court teaches people how to work together and forgive people for their actions instead of punishing them harshly.

“I enjoy peer court because we explore good ideas, fascinating topics,” Ramy said.

Ramy also said Peer Court is another way of helping a student fix their mistakes instead of getting a consequence right away instead they give them things do to help them fix their mistake and for the situation not to happen again.

Jeffrey Egerton, a senior at Haynes, said peer court teaches him the right way to restore justice within the community at Haynes.

“Peer Court is going to benefit me because its going to affect my resume when I go to college because they going to see me being a social activist in my community,” said Jeffrey.

Yancy Gomez a sophomore at Haynes, said Peer Court is a very helpful group because kids with behavior problems or stays in trouble it help them to change their actions and not to repeat the same mistakes.

One student, Mae Jackson (a pseudonym to protect her identity), said Peer Court helps them stay out in trouble in class. She said she has a phone problem in every class all she do is be on her phone and do not get any work done and she was failing every class till she had a court meeting and they made a plan to take her phone every class period. Since they did that she bought her grades up in every class.

Sasum Gassana said Peer Court helps the kids that has a behavior problem better themselves and get back on track. She also said it helps out a lot of kids not get suspended and miss school, if they keep making the same mistake, they will take the issue their deans of the school and they will get suspend.

There have been four cases since the school year started  and no one had made the same mistake after their case. Parents are not involved; it is just students talking to students to try to fix the situation they are in.

Christian De La Rosa said, “Peer Court its a good way to keep are students out of trouble. Last year we had too many suspension and no one to help them change their action it better opportunity to help them stay focus on school and not drama and students that not school related.”

In conclusion bringing Peer Court to E.L. Haynes was a great addition to the school. Many of the kids in Peer Court enjoy it and learn many things from the class such as how to deal with behaviors and what would be a good decision on what to give to the person without being harsh. Many kids in Peer Court also look forward to adding to their college resume that they participated in being in Peer Court and being an active social activist.