Is Family Guy Racist?

Destiny Myers, Entertainment Editor

Family Guy is an American sitcom created by Seth MacFarlane for the Fox Broadcasting Company in 1999. The characters are Peter Griffin, the father of Meg, Chris, and baby Stewie, his wife is Lois Griffin, and also their pet dog Brian who has human traits. The show is set in the fictional city Quahog, Rhode Island.

The question is: How do you feel about Family Guy using racial slurs?

The show regularly portrays characters as racial stereotypes. A character that displays racial stereotypes is Consuela,  a housemaid for the Griffin family, has broken English, she is of Hispanic origin, and uses incorrect sentence structure. Family Guy is portraying most Hispanics in the U.S. as unintelligent and employed in low paying jobs.

“Without Family Guy using racial stereotypes, it would not be the same,” said Ariel Phipps, a junior at E.L. Haynes High School. “It would not be funny, and they would not have content.”

Another character that displays racist stereotypes is Cleveland, one of Peter’s best friends. He is also the only black friend of Peter. Cleveland is an deli owner and a therapist. In one episode, Cleveland’s wife did not want him to hang out with Peter, and they would go behind her back and hang together. In this episode, they wore police costumes and Peter pretended to beat Cleveland with a stick.

“I feel like people know that they are being racist but they use characters to hide it,” said Karen Zelaya, who is a junior at E.L. Haynes High School. “ Some people like it, but I’m kinda in between because they can go a little far with the jokes.”

Family Guy is known for being offensive, but some students don’t mind.

“It’s racist, but it does not bother me because it’s funny,” said Brian, a junior at E.L. Haynes  High School. “You just can’t take it seriously.”

One particular episode that caught my eye was called Turban Cowboy. In this episode, Peter gets injured from skydiving and ends up meeting someone who is a Muslim named Ahmoo, who ends up forcing peter into blowing up the Quahog Bridge. Ahmoo made Peter drive because security apparently does not let anyone with dark skin color pass.

This is a form of racism, and this is very offensive because African Americans and other races who are not white gets oppressed by this.

“When they use racial stereotypes, they cover it up by using jokes with it to make it funny,” said Steven Alvarez, who is a junior at E.L. Haynes High School.

1 Comment

One Response to “Is Family Guy Racist?”

1. Alan on December 16th, 2018 4:08 pm

I’m grateful to the author for pointing out this observation of the racist images used in Family Guy. I find it interesting that none of the students interviewed could imagine Family Guy funny without the racist jokes. Is it possible to both like a show, but also be critical of the way that portray certain groups of people?

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

Amelia Boynton-Write That I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

Sheriff Jim Clark-Write That I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

Bettie Mae Fikes-Write That I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

Viola Liuzzo-Write That I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

John Doar- Write That I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

Bernard Lafayette-Write That I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

John Lewis-Write That I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Entertainment

Author Reading of Chocolate City

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

Jimmie Lee Jackson – Write that I…

• Is Family Guy Racist?

Showcase

Ella Baker – Write That I…

Is Family Guy Racist?