Glow DC event brings holiday spirit to Georgetown

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sam Kittner

Sam Kittner

Sam Kittner

Yajairi Aguilera, News Writer

Have you heard about the “RE-IMAGINE THE SEASON OF LIGHT AT GEORGETOWN GLOW”? If you haven’t then you’re missing out.
The Georgetown Glow is all about the sparkle of the season, the regions only organize an exhibition of outdoor public light art to process through the projects that were put in, and for people can be able to walk around and see the beautifulness of all colorful lights.

“ I saw lights, Christmas lights were put in but it’s not only Christmas lights but there were other lights too,” said Heilie Portillo, a sophomore in E.L Haynes. “It was awesome, I went with my cousin and we had a great time looking around the beautiful lights they’ve had. I suggest that the people that are debating if they should go to the Georgetown lights or not. You guys should. It’s gonna be an awesome experience.”

The location for this event is Washington Harbour, 3000 K Street NW.

“It was fun, there were so many stores that I haven’t been through, or seen too,” said Zaniya Hall, a student in E.L Haynes.

The 2018 Georgetown GLOW seem to invite visitors to re-imagine the season of light through outdoor public art. This 5th edition of GLOW runs from Saturday, December 1 through Sunday, January 6, with works lit from 5 – 10 p.m. nightly. Georgetown GLOW is presented by the Georgetown Business Improvement District.

“Honestly, it was very pretty. Like the lights were very different compared to the zoo lights,” said Lianna Murry, a sophomore in E.L Haynes. “The zoo lights are like if they were put around in trees, but in Georgetown, it’s like they were created by many artists.”

She added, “It’s very cute, I went with my family. It’s like a family thing. There like snowmen, many beautiful things I suggest people go with their families. It’s gonna be a beautiful experience.”

The 2018 Artists and Art Installation there are called Run Beyond ( Angelo Bonello, Italy), Social Sparkles (Toer, Netherlands), Light ( Robin Bell, Washington DC), Entre Les Rangos Creation and Execution: Kanva Architecture, and Production: Quartier Des Spectacles Partnership, Montreal Canada. , Artistic Lighting ( Elizabeth Coco, Designer, Atmosphere Lighting, Washington DC ), Rhizome (Tom and Lien Dekyvere, Begulim), Prismatic (Hou De Sousa, New York City), Today I Love You (Massimo Uberti and Marco Police, Italy), Twilight Antiques and Thrift (Rhonda Weppler, NYC, and Trevor Mahovsky, Canada), Faces and Places (Robin Bell, Washington DC), and Rainbow Friends (Johnny Dukovich and Klagsbrun Studios, Washington DC).

If you want to know how to get there here’s a website to know how: http://www.georgetownglowdc.com/getting-here-2/

Have fun, and have a great experience!