Golden State Warriors Dominate Cleveland Cavaliers for 3 of 4 consecutive years

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ariel Phipps, Sports Editor

It’s tied 107 -107 with 4.7 seconds left in the 4th quarter. Cleveland Cavalier George Hill is on the free throw line about to shoot one of the most important free throws to win the game. He shoots and hits the front of the rim. Luckily, his teammate J.R. Smith gets the offensive rebound for another try to score. He runs to half court thinking they were going to foul them and passes. The final buzzer sounds. By the end of overtime, the Golden State Warriors had won Game 1, 124-114.

Golden State are now back to back NBA final champions of the 2017 and 2018 season. Under the leadership of Kevin Durant, two-time Finals MVP, two-time MVP Steph Curry, and all star shooter Klay Thompson they were able to sweep the Cavs in 4 games. The Warriors have 4 starting all-stars. Lebron was the only all star that played for the Cleveland Cavaliers in both the 2017 and 2018 finals.

In the 2017-18 season, Stephen Curry, an all-star captain, averaged 26.8 points, 6.5 assist and 5.2 rebounds. Kevin Durant 2 time Finals MVP averaged 25.5 points, 5.5 assist, 6.8 rebounds. Klay Thompson a 3 time NBA Finals Champion averaged 20.1 points 2.6 assist, and 4 rebounds. Draymond Green , 2016-17 Defensive Player of the year averaged 11.3 points, 7.3 assist, and 8 rebounds.

Lebron James the only All Star on the Cleveland Cavaliers 3 time Finals MVP, 4 time regular season MVP, 14 time All Star, 12 time First Team and 5 time Defensive First Team averaged 26.5 points, 9 assist, and 8 rebounds.

After the Golden State Warriors swept the Cleveland Cavaliers, many people thought he was tired of carrying a team that had no one that could help. Many sports commentators like Stephen A Smith , Shaquille O’Neal and others though Los Angeles would be a great rebuilding place for him and the franchise themself.

Janser Reyes, senior at E.L Haynes High School said, “I think he would have still left Cleveland even if they wouldn’t have got swept because Kyrie left and there isn’t anyone else he can rely on to be there. He had to carry his whole team on his back.”

After the devastating Game 1 loss Lebron James punched a blackboard out of emotion and and played the rest of the series with a hand injury. Lebrons hard work 51 point game ending in a way that could’ve probably easily turned out to be a win hit him emotionally.

Ramy Beatriz, a junior and starting shooting guard for E.L Haynes varsity basketball said, “ If I were to work that hard and one of my teammates throw away the game like that I would’ve felt the same way as Lebron especially playing in a championship game.”

He added, “If Lebron never hurt his hand due to his frustration emotionally, the series would have probably been more interesting because he would maybe play at his full potential.”

Game 1 made the series seem interesting as everyone thought Golden State would just blow the Cavs out every game. Game 2 ended 122-103. In Game 3 the Cavaliers had more hope but in the last 3 minutes Steph Curry and Kevin Durant’s clutch shots put them up by 6. Game 3 then finished 110-102. In Game 4 the Cavaliers scored their least of the whole series with only 83 points while Golden State scored 108.

Edwin Zuniga, another junior said, “I knew they were going to get swept, Lebron is still one of the greatest to ever do it but its a team effort not a 1 vs 5.”

Lebron in the final few minutes subbed out and gave team a congratulations. It was the last time Lebron would be in a home Cavaliers jersey.