Black History Month Celebration!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black History Month Celebration!

Yajairi Aguilera, News

E.L. Haynes High School held a colorful, and joyful afternoon celebrating black history month. Knowing the true meaning of the celebration. Full of music, many amazing performances of kids, middle schoolers, and high schoolers, and very delicious food was given out for those who came and celebrated with us.

“It was awesome with the music and food but could’ve been more leftovers and other options but I enjoyed very much. I also learned that black history month isn’t always about slavery, civil rights, and bad events, in general, that happened, but it’s all about love freedom and happiness.” a student in EL Haynes, Latonia Towels.

What is Black History Month? Black History Month is a celebration that is being celebrated once a year, of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing many important roles of blacks in U.S history.  The story of Black History month began in 1995, half a century after the thirteenth amendment abolished slavery in the United States.

“I have noticed that in the show, there weren’t really many performances from the high school students or middle school. It was mostly kids but they did such a great job. It was really beautiful.” Gabriela Ramos, a Spanish / Dance teacher in El Haynes.

Why do we celebrate Black History Month? To celebrate the peace that has created with all the people, to change laws to be fair, and remember the people that had fought for their rights, for their freedom, and if it wasn’t for those who fought to make peace in this world we wouldn’t be here.