The 2019 NBA Lottery Pick

Ariel Phipps, Sports Editor

The NBA 2018-19 regular has ended and now it is time for the finals to start. On Tuesday May 14 the NBA lottery draft occured. This is where the teams with the lowest records are put together to have a chance to get the 1st pick in the NBA draft. The top 3 teams New York Knicks, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Phoenix Suns have a equal 14% chance to get their first pick. After that teams have less than 10% of a chance to get it.

Before the actual lottery draft, number 1 prospect Zion Williams of Duke University was in high demand. He averaged 22.6 points, 2.1 assist , and 8.9 rebounds shooting on 68% for field goals, 33.8% from 3-point range, and 64% from the free throw line at Duke. He had a terrific season even though he missed five games with a knee sprain. He blew right through his shoes 38 seconds into the Duke v UNC game and everyone around the basketball association thought again about the type of Nikes he was wearing. Rumors started that New York would have the first pick and that it’s a great place he could go to start his career.

Edwin Zuniga, junior at E.L Haynes High School ,” I would not be happy if I was Zion because he is young and the Pelicans already have problems with Anthony Davis. Since both of them are bigs it wouldn’t allow both players to shine.”

The three lowest seed teams New York (17-65), Cleveland (19-63), and Phoenix (19-63) all had the same 14% chance to get the 1st pick.Three of the four teams who held the top four picks of the draft this year rose up from at least six spots in the lottery, including the New Orleans Pelicans, who won with 6 percent odds. Memphis Grizzlies followed with 6 percent odds as well and then New York with their 14 percent. On an episode of Undisputed featuring Michael Rappaport he expresses his feelings, “ I woke up this morning with a hangover, a pure emotional hangover… people say it could’ve been worse but it actually couldn’t have.”

The New Orleans Pelicans were excited and rejoiced about receiving the first pick. The last time they received a first pick was in 2012 when they drafted Anthony Davis. Anthony Davis has averaged 23.7 points, 2.1  assist, and 10.5 rebounds in his 7 year career in New Orleans. This past January Anthony Davis requested a trade due to his frustration with the Pelicans not winning consistently and wants to compete for a championship. After that his chemistry with his teammates and the organization were not the same and he was benched the 4th quarter.

Jorge Robles, a E.L Haynes alumni says, “ Zion will be good anywhere he goes but I don’t think the best place for him was there. I wish him luck and we’ll be examining them throughout the next season.”